Accueil > Law and Responsabilities of International Organization

KINT 7600 - Systems of Responsibility and Global Governance

Type d'enseignement : Seminar

Semester : Spring 2017-2018

Number of hours : 24

Language of tuition : English

Pre-requisite

aucun

Course Description

The Law of International Responsibility has gained a major influence in the functioning and evolution of international law as a system. However, it appears quite unsettled in significant respects. Formally, the “law” of responsibility mainly consists of soft law instruments having an undetermined legal status. Substantially, “Responsibility” is a paradigm encompassing a series of cognate but distinct concepts (e. g. accountability, liability, responsibility stricto sensu). Based on a conceptual approach of the notion, the Course aims at identifying the various figures of responsibility and exploring its significance in the legal assertion of a genuine international community. The Course will also explore practical aspects of the topic, with a specific focus on those which currently affect international organizations, such as responsibility in the context of peace-keeping operations or financial and economic assistance. Biography Qualified as a Professor of public law during the 2010 French national professorship competition (“agrégation"), Pierre BODEAU-LIVINEC teaches public international law, the law of global and European governance and the law of international organizations at University Paris Nanterre. He acts as co-director of the Diploma in Energy Law and Major Projects. Pierre BODEAU-LIVINEC holds a PhD (summa cum laude) in public international law from the University Paris– Nanterre. Before entering an academic career, Pierre BODEAU-LIVINEC held numerous positions in the practice of international law. Between 2003 and 2006, he worked as a Legal Officer in the Legal Affairs Directorate of the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs. In 2006, he joined the United Nations Office of Legal Affairs, where he served until 2010 as a Legal Officer in the Codification Division. Previously, he had also acted as a Research Fellow at the Lauterpacht Research Centre for International Law, University of Cambridge (United Kingdom), providing substantive assistance to Professor James Crawford in his functions of Special Rapporteur of the UN International Law Commission on State responsibility. From 2010 until 2016, he occupied a Professorship of public law at the University Paris 8 Vincennes-Saint-Denis. Pierre BODEAU-LIVINEC's research focuses on legal personality in international law, the law of international responsibility, the law of international organizations and, most recently, international administrative law. Pierre BODEAU-LIVINEC is the Managing Editor of The Law and Practice of International Courts and Tribunals. Pierre also has a strong experience in the practice of international law. He has been involved in numerous international proceedings before international courts and tribunals, in particular the ICJ, the PCA and the ICC.

Teachers

BODEAU, Pierre (Professeur des universités)

Pedagogical format

The Course will extend from early March until the end of April. It will be divided in 6 sessions of 4 hours each. Each session will start with a lecture on a specific topic, followed by an oral presentation on a related issue and a general discussion. A exercise in the form of a Model UN may be proposed during one of the sessions in April.

Course validation

Each student will be evaluated according to the following criteria: (i) a brief comment on the readings or case-law associated with each lecture (20%); (ii) an extended oral presentation (made individually or collectively depending on the number of students) (30%); (iii) An analytical paper on a selected topic in relation to the Course (agreed with the lecturer) (50 %).

Required reading

  • 1. J. Crawford, A. Pellet (eds.), The Law of International Responsibility, OUP, 2010
  • 2. J. Crawford, State Responsibility: The General Part, CUP, 2013
  • 3. P. Klein, La responsabilité des organisations internationals, Bruylant, 1998
  • 4. M. Ragazzi, Responsibility of International Organizations: Essays in Honour of Ian Brownlie, Nijhoff, 2013
  • 5. D. Sarooshi (ed.), Remedies and Responsibility for the Actions of International Organizations, Nijhoff, 2014