Accueil > Migration issues in large metropolis

KGLM 2125 - Migration Issues in Large Metropolis

Type d'enseignement : Lecture alone

Semester : Autumn 2018-2019

Number of hours : 24

Language of tuition : English


Fundamental knowledge in sociology and political science is expected from the students.

Course Description

The process of urbanization has traditionally been linked with migration from rural areas in periods of industrialization as well as with international migration for instance to the Americas. The contemporary dynamics of migration in post-industrial global cities in the North and in the South must thus be understood in historical perspective. Notwithstanding, the continuing need for migrants in the services sector and some remnants of the industrial era and the continuing arrival of outsiders in search for better opportunities make migrants a feature of all large metropolises. The treatment of migrants in cities is a highly political issue, which can encourage stigmatization and segregation of disenfranchised newcomers. It also depends on a number of existing policy arrangements especially those linked to the political economy e.g. labour market and welfare state access. While international migration is governed by national laws and to a lesser extent regional agreements and international norms, migrants are mainly city dwellers and it is often up to local authorities or social dynamics and private governance to devise means of insuring their incorporation. To do so adequately requires us in this seminar to understand the dynamics of migration, the incorporation of migrants and their descendants or lack thereof in the urban landscape, the local economy, the social and the political sphere. This complex diagnosis is necessary to assess policy initiatives in this area.


GUIRAUDON, Virginie F. (CNRS Research Professor, CEE - Sciences Po)

Pedagogical format

12 sessions of 2 hours.

Course validation

Class assessment will thus include 1. The grade for the city report (oral presentation – 35% of the overall grade). 2. Class participation including participation to the debate on citizenship (15% of the overall grade). 3. A written final work (50% of the overall course's grade).


Weekly reading. City report. Final Policy brief/research design. Participation.

Required reading

Compulsory readings will be indicatd in the Syllabus

Additional required reading

  • Samers, Michael and Michael Collyer (2016) Migration. Second edition. London: Routledge
  • Stephen Castles et alii, The Age of Migration, Palgrave, 2014 see
  • Nina Glick Schiller, Ayse Caglar (eds), Locating Migration Rescaling Cities and Migrants, Cornell University Press, 2010